This is the 1996 Miramax adaptations starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam. It's my favorite of the lot, for a number of reasons. It was nominated for two Oscars, and declared the "Best Film of the Year!" by the New York Post.
Jane Austen's Emma: Miramax 1996
Film credits and awards, cast interviews, filmographies,
Movie Database Emma listing
- Official Miramax site
from the film
- Photos and videos from this adaptation are available in our gallery!
Academy Award-winning film soundtrack
Non-soundtrack music notes.
- Emma 2 was
filmed on location in Dorset,
South England, and near London. Filming locations include:
- Mapperton (Randalls), a Tudor house near Beaminster, Dorset - Official Mapperton Site
- Village of Evershot (which served as Highbury) - Near Yeovil, Dorset (and not far from Mapperton)
- Came House (Hartfield), Winterborne Came, near Dorchester, Dorset
- Crichel House (Donwell Abbey exterior) - Newton, Dorset - Crichel House History | Crichel Estate for Sale | A Landmark for Landowners: Crichel House
- Stafford House - West Stafford, Dorset.
House (Donwell Abbey) - Middle Claydon, Buckinghamshire. The ball scene was also filmed here.
- Style Court presents Emma and Claydon House. The piece includes images and discussion of the beautiful home where the ball and Donwell Abbey scenes were shot.
- Coker Court and St. Michael's Church - East Coker, Somerset
- Stratfield Saye (Hartfield interior) - Basingstoke/Reading, Hampshire. The dining room doubles as Hartfield's.
- Syon House (Hartfield interior) - Brentford, Middlesex. Syon's Long Gallery is the backdrop for Hartfield as Frank Churchill attempts his confession re: Jane to Emma.
- Breakspear House - London area
- 1996 Miramax Emma locations care of Movie-locations.com
assessment of the Emma 2 locations versus those
from Emma 3
My review of women's fashion
in the Emma adaptations
- Heather's Austen Adaptations Costume Pages
Another article on the Emma 2 costumes and the Regency
- Elsa Klensch on runway
hairstyles inspired by the film, at CNN Interactive
Emma 2 page
- Eras of Elegance Emma 2 page
Reviews and articles:
- Cassandra Farell's review
- Kali Pappas' defense of Northam and Paltrow, and a comparison of the Emma 2 and Emma 3 Knightleys.
- Metacritic aggregation of reviews
- Peter M. Nichols discusses Emma 2 and Emma 3 in terms of the recent onslaught of Austen film adaptations.
- San Francisco Chronicle review
- Rolling Stone review (beware errors)
- Cathleen's review at peers.org
- An Alibi Film Vault Review and Interview with Dough McGrath by Angie Drobnic
- Behind the Scenes of Emma, from Ages of Elegance
- Movieweb Emma section
- Sun-Times Roger Ebert review
- Time Emma feature, mostly about Gwyneth
- Telegraph interview with Greta Scaachi
- Detroit News review
- Urban Desires review
- Chick flick?
- NOW Review
- Internet Movie Database index of Emma 2 reviews